If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday 9 March 2010

One hero

The Times, again:

A British soldier saved the lives of two comrades by picking up a Taleban hand grenade that had landed at his feet and throwing it back at the enemy. Rifleman James McKie hurled the grenade back off the roof of a building in Sangin, Helmand province, where the men were coming under under fire from three directions.

Rifleman McKie said: “My first thought was, ’I hope this doesn’t hurt too much’. That, and 'I’ve really only got one chance to do this. If it fails, either way, doing nothing, I’m going to get the same amount of hurt'. So I picked it up and threw it off the roof.


He said: “People keep telling me how brave I am, which I’m slightly embarrassed about.
“I’d like to think that anyone in that situation would have done the same or something similar because you can’t just sit there and let yourself or other people get hurt. I don’t feel particularly brave. I thought, 'I have to do this to survive'. Not just for myself but for the guys around me as well.”

Compare and Contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...