If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Sunday 7 March 2010

Desert Island Discs 1

It's not a new idea, but I thought I would share a few musical favourites. The Desert Island Discs model is actually quite difficult - what, only eight records from the whole of my lifetime? - and imposes a tough discipline. But worth a try. I will separate this into eight posts, although as my musical tases are very wide indeed, each post will probably represent a whole genre rather than a single artiste. No particular order; first does not equal favourite. But each one will be a piece of music that is important to me in one way or another.

Music is of such importance to me that I cannot imagine a world where it doesn't exist. I have a tune (or possibly a fully-orchestrated symphony) going round in my head at all times. Earworms are attracted to me and breed in my cochlea. My mother was a good singer and sang constantly when I was a baby and toddler, and I'm sure that's where I get it from (Dad could hardly carry a tune if you gave him a fork-lift truck, and thought Madama Butterfly was the height of musical art, so it wasn't from there). I never had the discipline to learn to read music properly or to play an instrument to a reasonable standard, but I can sight-read simple choral stuff and get a tune out of most instruments with a bit of encouragement. I was quite good on the guitar once, but lack of practice has meant that I no longer do so in public. I love singing: I'm a tenor and can get top G if given a sufficient run-up (any good composer will give his tenors a couple of warm-up laps before expecting them to go that high, thank goodness). I've been in a couple of really good choirs in my time, which have been fantastic experiences.

One thing I can't stand is having music as background to other work. Some people can work with music on in the corner, but I can't. If there's music around, I have to listen to it, even if it is Radio 1. No work gets done. The exception is practical work: when I was making and restoring furniture, I used to have a CD player in the workshop that was on all the time. But even then, if it came to a particularly good song, or passage, I would stop work to listen. Perhaps that's why I didn't make much money! But I can't write and listen. I tried writing this with the chosen piece on in the background, but had to turn it off. It's one or the other.

First off is the wonderful Loudon Wainwright III. I understand from my younger friends that he is now only famous for being the father of Rufus and Martha, but to me he is the witty, self-aware and self-deprecating writer of some fantastic songs - usually centred around life and love, and usually with a bitter twist somewhere along the way. I saw him at Leeds Town Hall in around 1970, when his voice was a penetrating whine (like Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, he didn't seem to let a lack of vocal perfection get in his way), but in recent years he has matured into a fine singer.



This one is 'Primrose Hill', from the 1997 album Little Ship. Catchy, and deeply sad - quite a combination.



I got the idea for this from Wrinkled Weasel, who (I hope) tolerates copycats. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I was kind of hoping somebody would take up the baton.

    This has a wonderful stripped down to basics quality that only people at the top of their game can get away with, since it tends to reveal everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I thought it was a shameless bit of copycattery, but it's a good idea I wanted to run with.

    More when I track down the relevant CDs.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...