If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Populism - a Bad Thing

Further to my recent post about democracy and the way that the Left assume that because something is popular it is also bad ("the Government are pandering to mere populism"), Obnoxio has a good take on the subject, which I will steal without a second thought:

1. The Krays extorted money and used violence against people.
2. The Krays also did a lot of good things, or used the PR campaign that they did some good things with the money they extorted.
3. The Krays decided entirely unaccountably what "good things" they would spend the money they extorted on, and also who they would use violence against.

4. Governments extort money and use violence against people.
5. Governments also do a lot of good things, or us the PR campaign that they do some good things with the money they extort.
6. Governments decide entirely unaccountably what "good things" they spend the money they extort on, and also who they use violence against.

The difference between the Krays and the government is the fig leaf of

Go and read the rest.


  1. The narrative is "Nothing has changed". I have been reading about the history of this Island. Corruption and stagnation are only tolerated to a point. My toleration reached its limit some time ago. The Establishment no longer has the common consent of the majority. See our History - when this happens you eventually get change, or revolution. I would like to see a revolution in my lifetime, but it aint gonna happen. The masses have been drugged into complacency.

  2. We are brought up to believe that democracy is the finest and fairest system of government, In fact, we like it so much we are prepared to go overseas and kill people to make sure they have it. And yet I am coming round to thinking that it is only a way of letting 51% of the population dictate to the other 49% what they may and may not do, and steal all their money into the bargain. It may be the 'least worst' system (Churchill?) but it sure ain't perfect.

  3. "It may be the 'least worst' system (Churchill?)..."

    Yup! In a speech in the House of Commons on 11 November 1947, Winston Churchill said:

    "No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

  4. Interesting to see it as a defence in court;

    "But the Government do it"

    "But what you did was illegal, what the Government do is legal."

    "Who said so?"

    "The Government".

  5. @Julia - thank you; I knew that, but had forgotten it, if you see what I mean.

    @Furor - indeed.


Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...