If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday 18 September 2010

The Worst Job In The World

I could not, in a million years, do this. I would starve rather than do this. I would clean out the sewers of Delhi with my bare hands than do this. I would volunteer to bugger a herd of giraffes without the benefit of lubricant daily for a century than do this. Given the choice between doing this and a bullet to the back of the head, I'd take the lead any day.

You may guess that I am not good with heights. In fact, I could only watch 2:44 of this before I had to close it and go for a walk round. I felt physically sick. How these guys do it is a complete mystery to me.

Enjoy, if that's the right word ...



H/t to Obo and, through him, MsGoodhew, who seems to have a strange take on the word 'arousing'.

8 comments:

  1. At about 5:40, the narrator says "There's no quick way down".

    Err, I think there is, actually. That's the worrying thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta get me one of those Fiestas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @patently - yes, I spotted that one. Ouch.

    @Jim - hehe, I like to hear 'em squeal.

    @Gymi - wrong post, but agreed - an awesome car (for a - spit - car).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw that after I commented, I'll pay better attention next time;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doesn't look too bad, actually, if you're not a vertigo sufferer and still think monkey bars are pretty cool. Even if being that far above the lightning rails isn't an entirely comfortable thought.

    I've done a fair bit of internal and external ladder work, up to about 60', and some more on scaffolding. It's not the height that gives me problems so much as the stability. If it feels secure then it's easy to get on with the job and overlook the altitude: the downside being that if it doesn't, it's absolutely bloody terrifying and almost impossible to relinquish a two-handed death-grip on whatever is to hand.

    I'd really like to know whether that was on a windy day, though. It could make all the difference to the poor giraffes if that tower whips around like a CB antenna at the first hint of a breeze...

    "No fast way down" made me chuckle, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Endo, you are a brave man with testicles the size of Gallia melons. Of course, the whole thing is psychological: it occurred to me while watching the clip the first time that, if you were on the top of that tower with the ground only six feet below, you could cling on no problem. In fact (for me, at least), if someone could install a large paper disc six feet below where I was clinging on so that I could not look down, I would be fine. It's the exposure, not the risk of falling, that gets to me. I think another post is in order, as I'd like to explore this a bit.

    As to a windy day - FFS don't start with that! I understand that the Eiffel Tower can sway up to 15cm on a windy day - with its thin, whippy structure, I am sure the tower in the film will sway a lot more than that.

    I'm going to have to go and have another lie down.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...