If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday 28 September 2010

For Your Convenience

Tesco:

Buy a few items, arrive at self-service checkout. Put shopping bag in the bagging area. Press 'start'.

"Unexpected item in the bagging area."

Take shopping bag off shelf. All OK. Put shopping bag back.

"Unexpected item in the bagging area."

Well, how the fuck am I supposed to load my shopping if I can't put my bag in the bagging area? Carry it in my arms and put it in my bag outside? Balance it on my head? Eat it all straight away? The bag of ground coffee could be a problem, but no matter.

It's a shopping bag, you know, the ones you encourage us to bring along to Save The Planet. Your campaign, not mine.

These self-service checkouts are the most inconvenient devices I have ever come across in the name of 'a better shopping experience'. I wouldn't mind if they knocked 10% of the bill because you were doing half the work yourself. But no - it's just a reason to sack a few of those nice checkout ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...