If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Monday 21 September 2009

Strange notices

Seen recently, some notices that I though were strange. In Wickes' DIY store:

For Your Safety and Security, Surveillance Cameras Operate in This Store

and

For Your Safety and Security, These Products Are Tagged.

In what way, I wondered, does the fact that there is a camera watching my every move contribute to my safety? Is Wickes full of homicidal customers who are only restrained from attacking random strangers by the presence of video recording? How does a tag on a product mean I am more secure? By ensuring that I don't accidentally leave with something under my coat, and thereby inadvertently get a criminal record?

Then I realised that the notices are wrong, albeit by only one letter - for Your, read Our. I don't object to the surveillance or the tagging of products - Wickes have to make a profit somehow, and it's honest customers like me who pay higher prices if there is thieving - but I do object to their anti-theft measures being dressed up as concern for my welfare. Just be honest, guys:

Notice to Customers: We have video surveillance and electronic tagging to stop you nicking our stuff.

On another outing, I saw this on a packet of Walkers Sensations Crisps:

Made With Real Ingredients.

Priceless. I mean, how can it not be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...