If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Monday 5 July 2010

Well put, Sir

From the comments to a post on Anna Raccoon, which discusses the interference of the state in people's sexuality, a couple of paragraphs that say everything necessary about the way government now sees itself as master rather then servant of the people:

"The Harrier Harpersons of this world are not for equality. They may use that word and others like ‘discrimination’ but they are not for equality. They are for deciding a model for life and saying ‘Anyone who deviates from that is bad’.

For them it is not about leaving people alone to live their lives but about trying to shape people into their idea of model citizens. You must celebrate homosexuality, you must celebrate diversity, you must tolerate intolerance from minorities. They are just cretins with only one principle – they want authority over someone. They will leave alone the people who conform. They will hound and denigrate those who do not. They seem to think ‘What good is authority if you do not exercise it?’"

Will the new lot be any different? I hope so. Thirteen years of "do as you are told" was enough, thanks.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Clair! And thanks for dropping by. It's always good to see new commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. endemoniada_885 July 2010 at 23:33

    PS: Sorry about the double post...not sure quite what happened there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens - no idea why. Brilliant quotation, by the way. I like CS Lewis: his Mere Christianity came close to convincing me at one point, and I've still got a soft spot for the Narnia books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I've replied to this comment, and the reply has not appeared. I'll wait and see if it appears later. Perhaps the same thing happened to you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. endemoniada_8810 July 2010 at 16:16

    Lewis is usually quite good value - manages to be thought-provoking rather than outright preachy, which is nice. And he has a good line in allegory.

    He reminds me somewhat of Priestley in being able to get a conceptual message across effectively. I don't necessarily agree fully with either of them, but I do admire their craftsmanship. A thought probably inspired by the fact I'm playing the eponymous Inspector in "An Inspector Calls" next week. True, it's a play that's been done by everyone and their dog, but it's still a fantastic piece of stage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a play I absolutely love. When I was teaching I used it many times. It's so clever. If I were within 100 miles of you, I would come and see it. Break a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. endemoniada_8813 July 2010 at 00:51

    Thank you.

    I hope to do the role some justice - the play's so good it flatters the cast anyway, but it also really demands giving of your best!

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...