If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Thursday 15 July 2010

Evidence-based Royalty

From The Guardian:

Prince Charles attacks climate change sceptics

The Prince of Wales last night launched an attack on climate sceptics, deriding them for peddling "pseudo science".

Charles, speaking yesterday at the event staged by the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership at St James's palace, did not mention any sceptics by name but said: "People have heard the climate sceptics and attempted to listen to the kind of pseudo science they are peddling"

Well, knock me down with a genetically-modified feather. The man who talks to his plants; the man who has campaigned to have homeopathy on the NHS. The man who, in short, is as far from being a scientist as I am from being a Premiership footballer.

At least he recognises the problem some people will have with his pronouncements.

"I have endlessly been accused of peddling pseudo science, in one way or another, for most of my life - just think about the strange irony."

Well, I'm thinking about it, and all I can come up with is "you talk bollocks on everything else, so I will allow that you are at least consistent".

The comments are worth a read: roughly split between "I despise Prince Charles and everything he stands for, but on this occasion the Future King and Gracious Heir to the Throne is absolutely correct", and "Oh God, this is the last thing the Climate Change movement needed".

Heh.

(BTW, I covered homeopathy here, earlier this year. Worth a look if you didn't see it first time around.)

2 comments:

  1. When I was an environmental campaigner in the 1970s I was labelled a crank for even raising the possibility of the 'greenhouse effect'. Now I'm a crank for even raising the possibility that there may be no greenhouse effect. It's a funny old World.

    Derf

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must accept the possibility that you are just a crank, full stop. I remember your place - not a pack of three, not a gross of packs of three, but a box of grosses or packs of three, all to be given away. Condoms in catering quantities.

    "Stop At Two"? As if.

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...