If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Saturday, 21 January 2012

Dangerous chemicals

Microdave points out, in comments to a recent post, that there is a website detailing concern about a chemical which, although in widespread industrial and domestic use, has been found to have unexpected and dangerous side-effects.
Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Go and read more here.

Thanks to MD for the tip. I shall stop drinking DHMO forthwith.


  1. Like most things it's probably safe to drink in moderation.

  2. Take no chances, dilute it with whisky, lots and lots of whisky!

  3. Whisky kills all the bugs, or so I am told. I'm with W C Fields: "I never drink water because fish fuck in it."


Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...