If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Monday 28 October 2013

Fleet update

For those who are interested ...

I had to move everything about yesterday to clear leaves and stuff from my usual storage locations, and I ended up with all three bikes on the driveway, and I thought it would be an ideal photo opportunity.  There's one new addition to the fleet since the last bike-related post here.

Here's the chorus line:


From left to right:

Yamaha XT660R, 2006, fully functional, road legal, the commuter and everyday reliable workhorse.  Previous owner rode it to Romania and back (from his name on the V5, I think he was visiting relatives) and I intend to give it a similar workout before too long.  Not to Romania, but further than the Severn Bridge, for sure.

Triumph Trident 750, 1994 (but an early VIN, probably made in 1992), one of the early Hinckley revival Triumphs.  Bought because I could no longer credibly be the Chairman of my branch of the Owners' Club without owning a Triumph, and this was a very cheap eBay purchase in May.  Bought (more or less) to say I had one in the shed, and perhaps to keep with a view to long-term restoration.  In fact, it is a superb bit of kit, and I am hooked.  It had 52k on the clock when I got it (53k now) and it is not without its faults, but it is rideable and goes pretty well for an old girl.  I'm now focusing on a gradual improvement schedule.  The immediate stuff has all been done, and I am now onto the refinements (hollow laugh).

Yamaha XT600E, 1995 (but made in 1994), SORNed, no tax, no insurance, no battery as of yesterday. A triumph (heh) of mid-90s tasteless colour vandalism - pale green, lilac and white. The puppy I cannot abandon.  Long-term, it's going to get money spent on it and made fantastic, but short-term it's under a cover behind the shed.  I found an interesting nest of spiders in the air intake yesterday.  Not at the top of my priority list, but when time and funds allow, it's getting the treatment.  I have a lot of lurve for this bike.


Ah, choices.

18 comments:

  1. Everyone could do with a Triumph in the garage!

    My Wiesbaden Greek mate has a Trident (similar vintage and I was attracted to it's recessed rotary fuel cock:
    http://nikoscosmos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/motorrad-tagestouren-mit-cheesecake.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Known for being not-all-that-reliable, I believe. A standard petcock under the panel is a common modification, with competition for the neatest blanking plate for the rotary bit. Also, the one in your pic has been enhanced, I believe. The on/res/prime etchings are not picked out on the original and are virtually unreadable unless you squat down and squint. I think I shall follow his example and put a bit of white pain in there.

      Delete
    2. Haha, oops, white *paint*.

      Delete
    3. He bought the Trident 3 years ago for a song from a fastidious (German) first owner. Needless to say I cannot fit on it...

      Delete
    4. No? I find it more cramped than the XTR, but there's much more legroom than on the Bonneville. It's quite a comfy ride.

      Delete
    5. That's why I never bought a Bonneville!

      Delete
  2. A nice little trio there - something to ride, something to work on, and something to dream of fixing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to have choices. A nice stables you have going.

    The Trident has more leg room than the Bonneville? Hmmm, that was one of my main issues with the Bonneville last year and one of many why we sold it. Just can't find anything I like as much as my Gladius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't measured it, but the seat-to-peg distance seems more comfortable for me. What was a great riding position on a test ride (Bonnie) became torture after 100 miles in one go. The Trident is like the Sprint - all-day comfy. So far.

      Delete
    2. My impression of the Trident is that the pegs are set quite far back and this is what defeats me due to wonky knees and long legs.

      Delete
    3. It's basically a Sprint without a fairing - the critical dimensions feel the same. Rearset pegs are good for my knees, which don't like being folded up at 90 deg for long periods, but it's all a very individual thing. Next time we have an International Breakfast I will bring it and you can have a go.

      Delete
    4. Let's try pre Thundersprint?

      Delete
    5. Good idea. I have, rather optimistically, registered to attend on the Trumpet, so Supreme Being Of Your Choice willing, it will be there.

      Delete
  4. The '95 XT is a keeper, even with THAT colour scheme. Once you got the funds just spend a bit more on a decent paint composition. This motorcycle calls to be taken around the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a restored 600 on the HUBB site which was all black and looked fantastic (can't find the pic now, of course). The green and lilac is so bad it's good, if you see what I mean, and I think if I had unlimited cash I would be tempted to take it right back to factory, including the bizarre colour scheme. But all-black would be a lot cheaper! Round the world? Yep, the bike could do it. Not sure I could ...

      Delete
    2. I like the all-black, but I would accept the so-bad-that-it-is-good as well. If the bike is ready for the world and you're not I'll gladly take over ;-)

      Delete
    3. Well, at least you are a bit closer these days. I admire your patience in getting the Harley through the bike equivalent of passport control. I think I would have given up long before you did.

      All-black is a bit of a cliche these days. I'd be quite interested in having a really challenging colour scheme, like acid yellow plastics and a navy blue frame, or orange and dark green. *considers* Black is good, though.

      Delete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...