If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

- George Washington

Tuesday 19 October 2010

The BBC can't help it



I have just watched Emily Maitlis interviewing Liam Fox on the BBC News channel. I heard the exchange before I saw who was speaking, and I thought it was a row between Fox and some disgruntled Labour has-been harridan. She raised her voice, she interrupted, she spoke over him for whole sentences, she sounded outraged. I was pretty surprised to find it was a supposedly neutral news presenter interviewing on behalf of the state broadcaster.

Of course, she may have felt that she was only doing her civic duty by exposing the nastiness behind the Tory government's facade of calm reasonableness - I'm sure all of her colleagues would have thought she was behaving perfectly correctly - but to me it sounded totally unprofessional and shrill.



She's a bit of a babe, and she's obviously a clever girl, but tonight she let herself down badly. She was far from neutral, and if the BBC isn't neutral it can't claim to be a national broadcaster. Yet more ammunition for the cull. And she's off my Christmas list too.

11 comments:

  1. The BBC gave up impartiality a long time ago. Their news isn't worth watching as they have to stick to their one sided bias. Pro Labour and the EU, pro climate disruption scam etc. You get a good idea of their bias by following their tweets..

    http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/2010/10/more-bbc-tweets.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was following those. I think the BBC has been left-biased since the time of Mrs Thatcher. Now it's 'in their DNA', as they keep telling us. Some of the coverage of the miners' strike was appallingly one-sided. The impartial BBC that I remember from my youth is long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is obviously the daughter of a Chemist from Sheffield!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As opposed to an actual chemist from Grantham, you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly Richard, you read me like a chemical formula...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking CH4, the trouser trumpet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decomposes rapidly, highly toxic, regarded as a very dangerous substance?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Methyl isocyanate (MIC) is a clear, colorless, lachrymatory, sharp smelling liquid. It is highly flammable, boils at 39.1 °C and has a low flash point.[8] Methyl isocyanate is soluble in water to 6–10 parts per 100 parts, but it reacts with the water.

    It (or something like it) was the smelliest thing that I made during my A level chemistry course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah right - a proper stinker and makes girls cry. Does it dissolve in alcohol? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't recall - we poured it down the drain when the Chemistry master had turned his back....

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free, according to C P Scott, so go for it. Word verification is turned off for the time being. Play nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...